QUICK BAGCheck out this fast and fun way to avoid taking a plastic bag!
YESSSSSSS!!! Can I get an AMEN!!!???
DO NOT CLICK PAST WITHOUT TRYING THESE!
My children are not just picky – they are excessively limited. I mean these kids will choose to go hungry rather than eat an under ripe banana or some pasta sauce that ¨touched green¨.
My children are so picky I have to sprinkle nutritional yeast in their peanut butter sandwiches in hopes they will survive the day! It is BRUTAL.
Suffice it to say I will stop at NOTHING to sneak food value in to things they DO eat.
Today I will share some success that has me completely overjoyed.
- You will need a decent blender – not fancy but reasonably strong
Place the following in your blender:
- 1 Banana, large
- 6 oz Spinach and or kale (give or take….I used about 2 cups of mixed greens)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Sea Salt (approx ¼ tsp)
- 2-3 tsp Vanilla or vanilla extract (I use closer to a tablespoon because we LOVE vanilla!)
- ¼ cup butter + ¼ cup coconut oil (or ½ cup of your fat of choice!
- ½ cup greek yogurt + ¼ cup whole milk ( or ¾ cup dairy substitute of your choice!)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder ( if you want a richer chocolate you can safely go to 3 tablespoons)
Blend this crazy concoction until it is SMOOOOOTHE….it will take on a grotesque colour! But fear not…LOL
You need 2 cups of flour…. you have options about what to use.
What I used:
1 cup Oat flour (Whole oats blended in advance down to a somewhat fine powder)
¼ cup Corn flour
¼ cup Unbleached all purpose flour
¼ cup Raw hulled, unsalted pumpkin seeds ground into a fine powder (coffee grinder works great!)
¼ cup Ground Flax seed
Go with all purpose straight up! (there is LOTS of goodness in there already so don´t need to knock yourself out!)
Use half oat and half flour of your choice (best to use something you typically bake with and know how it behaves)
BUCKWHEAT flour! Yummmy goodness – but the taste is a little different so if this is new to your kids – go no more than HALF and use something familiar the other half…. Like oat or standard all purpose.(I always add extra cinnamon when using buckwheat)
OR DO IT YOUR WAY!!! 🙂 May the force be with you 😀
** In a large bowl, mix your blender concoction into the flour.
(At this point you can consider adding any little extras that will help entice the hooligans. Some chocolate chips? Nuts? Coconut?…whatever tickles their tummies.) I opted to add nothing and they were received with rave reviews.
** Bake in greased muffin tin (or lined) approx 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
Keep in mind all ovens vary slightly – so watch them, and do the poke test!
They are good warm – but actually taste better when cooled. So patience is in your favor 🙂
I hope your little toots like them as much as mine do!!
You will need a reasonably strong blender or food processor to make this recipe.
- I recommend making one big batch and freezing in smaller portions – it freezes great!
- I use all organic products but that is a personal choice and changes nothing in the process or flavor.
- Spread it on EVERYTHING!! Yum
1.5 Cups pitted dates
1 cup warm water
5 table spoons cocoa powder
1/2 table spoon vanilla
1/3 cup hemp hearts
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (raw hulled and unsalted)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (raw hulled and unsalted – or roasted if you prefer)
Place in the blender in order listed.
Puree until you reach desired texture.
Don’t hesitate to add a little extra water if you need or want a smoother texture.